This yeasted apple bread yields two delicious loaves! The apple filling in this yeasted apple bread is super flavorful thanks to a splash of vanilla extract and a hearty sprinkle of apple pie spice. If you don’t have Apple Pie Spice, don’t let that deter you from baking this up! We’ll do a blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger and allspice – you can add cardamom too! There’s a great guide in this post on a DIY Apple Pie Spice. You don’t want to miss out on the vanilla glaze – it adds an extra layer of decadence. If you have leftover Yeasted Apple Bread with Vanilla Glaze, we loved it as French Toast – it was perfect! We made this recipe with our friends at Red Star Yeast and hope you’ll check out a sister recipe on their site for a Caramel Twist Bread!
- 240 mins
- 18 servings
For the Bread
- Nonstick spray or shortening
- 1 pkg. Platinum Yeast from Red Star
- 3/4 cup (175 g) Warm Water, ~105 F
- 2/3 cup (145 g) Warm Milk, ~105F
- 3 Tbsp. (44g) Sugar
- 1 Large Egg Yolk (20 g)
- 1 tsp. Rodelle Gourmet Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 ¼ tsp. (6 g) Non-iodized Table Salt
- 555g All Purpose Flour, plus additional if needed (4 pretty full cups measured with the dip method)
- 4 Tbsp. (56g) Unsalted Butter, Softened
Apple Filling Ingredients
- 2 Granny Smith Apples, Peeled and diced small (about 240 g prepped)
- 3 Tbsp. (45g) Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 ¾ tsp. (5g) Apple Pie Spice
- Yolk of 1 Large Egg (20 g)
- 1 tsp. (5 g) Rodelle Gourmet Pure Vanilla Extract
Vanilla Bean Glaze Ingredients
- 2 cups (240g) 10x Confectioners’ sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp. (8g) Rodelle Vanilla Paste
- 2 Tbsp. (33g) Water
To Make Dough:
- Combine the yeast with the milk and water in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Add the sugar, yolk, vanilla extract and salt to yeast mixture and mix on low. Add 3 cups of the flour and continue to mix on low until the dough comes together. Add pieces of softened butter, one tablespoon at a time until it becomes incorporated.
- At this point switch the mixer attachment to the dough hook. Add enough of the remaining flour and any additional flour so that the dough cleans the bottom of the bowl in a nice soft ball.
- Mix on medium low speed until the dough comes together into a smooth ball (about 8-10 minutes).
- Spray a bowl with non-stick spray and place the dough into the bowl covered with a damp towel.
- Proof the bread in a warm place for 60-75 minutes, or until double in size.
To Make Filling:
- Combine all filling ingredients together in a bowl until well combined.
To Form Loaves & Bake:
- Prepare two 4x8” loaf pans with nonstick spray or shortening.
- On a floured work surface, divide the dough into 2 even pieces and roll out into a roughly shaped 10x15” rectangle.
- Divide the filling in half and spread half over the each rolled out dough within 1” of the sides.
- From the 10” side, roll the loaf up into an even shaped log. Place loaves into prepared pans with the seam side down.
- Proof loaves for an additional 45-60 minutes in a warm spot covered with damp towels, or until they rise enough to fill the loaf pan.
- Bake at 350F for 55-65 minutes or until an internal temperature of 210F. If you are using a dark or coated metal pan, lower temperature to 325F for the same duration.
- Turn out the loaves onto a cooling rack and cool for at least an hour before glazing.
Preparation for vanilla bean glaze:
- In a bowl, whisk together all ingredients until well combined.
- Pour half of the glaze over each fully cooled loaf.