Black sesame and strawberries are an unlikely pair that shine through in this easy vegan ice cream recipe!
- | Easy
- | 180 mins
- | 6 servings
DirectionsFor the Strawberry Swirl
- Toss the strawberries, sugar and vodka in a small bowl.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 2 days. Strain the liquid from the berries and transfer half of the berries to a food processor, whizzing until smooth.
- Add the remaining berries and pulse 3-4 times, set aside.
- Whizz the sesame seeds in a clean food processor until they turn into a thick paste. At first it will seem as though they won't change, but after 6-8 minutes, their oils will seep out, helping transform them into a paste. Scrape down the sides every few minutes.
- In a medium pot, whisk the black sesame paste with 3 tablespoons of the coconut cream until smooth.
- Add the remaining coconut cream, coconut milk, sugar, maple syrup, coconut oil, vanilla bean seeds and pod, and salt to the pot and warm over medium heat, stirring occasionally. When the cream begins to simmer, remove the pot from heat. Cover and let the mixture steep for 20 minutes. Remove the bean pod, scraping out the insides of the pods for all that vanilla goodness.
- Meanwhile, prepare an ice bath by filling a large bowl with ice cubes and water.
- Pour the base into a large 1-gallon Ziploc bag. Seal it and submerge the mixture in the ice bath until cold, about 30 minutes. (You can also skip this step by refrigerating until the mixture is cold, about 4 hours).
- Spread ¼ of the ice cream mixture into a loaf pan. Dollop ¼ of the strawberry mixture in 4-5 places on top of the ice cream. Use the back of a spoon or a chopstick to gently swirl the strawberries into the ice cream. Repeat 3 times until you've used up all of the ice cream and strawberry mixture.
- Cover the ice cream and freeze until firm, at least 4 hours but preferably overnight.
- ¼ of the ice cream mixture into a loaf pan. Dollop ¼ of the strawberry mixture in 4-5 places on top of the ice cream. Use the back of a spoon or a chopstick to gently swirl the strawberries into the ice cream. Repeat 3 times until you've used up all of the ice cream and strawberry mixture.
- Notes This recipe was prepared by Sarah from Snixy Kitchen for Rodelle.
For the Strawberry Swirl
- 2 cups minced strawberries
- 1 cup turbinado sugar
- 1/2 cup vodka
Coconut Black Sesame Ice Cream Base
- 3/4 cup Rodelle Black & Toasted Sesame Seeds
- 1 (14-ounce) can coconut cream (available online)
- 1 (13.66-ounce) can full fat coconut milk
- 3/4 cup raw turbinado sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 of a Rodelle Vanilla Bean, split and seeds scraped
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon vodka
- 1/4 teaspoon salt