A holiday treat, this Vegan Bourbon Pecan Pie is dairy and egg free with a hint of molasses, maple and a taste of bourbon – and of course vanilla extract!
- | Easy
- | 65 mins
- | 8 servings
- Preheat oven to 350F (180C), setting the oven rack in the center of the oven. Toast the pecans for about 10-12 minutes or until fragrant. Rough chop and set aside.
- In a medium sauce pot, add the coconut oil and heat until shimmering. Turn the burner down to low and add the flour whisking until a paste forms. Turn the burner off and whisk in the bourbon until smooth.
- To the flour mixture, add the brown rice syrup, sugar, molasses, maple syrup and Rodelle vanilla extract.
- Turn the burner back on to medium low and whisk until ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
- Continue whisking occasionally until bubbles just start to form around the edges.
- Remove from heat immediately and add the chopped pecans. Stir, then pour the mixture into the blind (par) baked pie crust and spread it evenly.
- Brush the edges of the crust with nut milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 30-35 minutes.
- When done, the crust will be golden-brown and the pie will bubbly, loose and not set.
- Allow to set over night to firm up before decorating with pie dough cut outs and/or cutting into the pie.
- To cut into the pie, spray a sharp knife with pan spray. Using firm pressure, cut into the pie, wiping the knife off each time to clean it before cutting again.
- Rewarm individual slices for about 3-4 minutes in a 325F (163C) oven. It will melt if over-heated.
- Serve with vanilla bean ice cream and chocolate drizzle.
- Store the pie covered, at room temperature for up to three days. Some of the sugar will leak out a bit as it sets, but it can be scraped up with a spoon easily when slightly warmed.
- Notes: This recipe was created by Traci at Vanilla and Bean for Rodelle. For leaf shapes, roll out extra pie dough and cut into shapes. Brush with nutmilk and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for about 15 minutes at 350F (180C) or until golden. Place on top of the pie after the pie has set and cooled.
For the Pie
- 1 Blind Baked Coconut Oil Pie Crust + leftover dough for leaf decorations
- 2 C Pecans whole, 245g
- 2 Tbs Coconut Oil, solid
- 3 Tbs All Purpose Flour
- 1/4 C Bourbon 50g
- 1 C Brown Rice Syrup 322g
- 2/3 C Dark Brown Sugar 132g
- 1 Tbs Molasses
- 2 Tbs Maple Syrup
- 2 tsp Organic Rodelle Bourbon Vanilla Extract
For Finishing and Serving:
- Nut Milk
- Cane Sugar
- Extra pie dough cut into leaf or festive shapes* see note
- Vegan Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- Melted Chocolate