Vanilla Chai Sugar Cookies combine all the flavors of a cozy cup of chai tea into a delicious sugar cookie – topped off with a creamy vanilla bean glaze.
- 30 mins
- 30 servings
For the Cookies
- 2¼ cups (281 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp ground allspice
- ⅛ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup (227 grams) unsalted butter
- 1¼ cups (250 grams) granulated sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tbsp Rodelle Gourmet Vanilla Extract
- optional: ½ cup granulated sugar for rolling
For the Vanilla Bean Glaze
- 1½ cups (180 grams) powdered sugar
- 6 tbsp (90 grams) heavy cream
- 1 tsp Rodelle Vanilla Paste
- Preheat oven to 350°F (177°C). Line 2-3 large baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Whisk the flour, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, allspice, pepper, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Using a hand mixer or a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar together on medium speed until smooth, about 1-2 minutes. Add the egg yolks and beat on high until combined, about 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed. Add the vanilla extract then beat on high speed again until combined.
- Pour the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, then mix on low until combined.
- Scoop and roll balls of dough, about 1.5 Tablespoons of dough each. Roll each ball into granulated sugar then place on the baking sheets about 3 inches apart.
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes, or until the edges are just set. The baked cookies will look extremely soft in the centers when you remove them from the oven. Cool cookies on the baking sheets for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Make the glaze: Whisk the powdered sugar, heavy cream, and vanilla paste together. Add another tablespoon of heavy cream to thin out if necessary. Taste, then add a pinch of salt if desired. Drizzle on each cooled cookie and enjoy!
Cookies stay fresh covered at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Note: this recipe was prepared by @mikebakesnyc for Rodelle.