This is a charming spin on a classic dessert. With a lovely texture and rich flavor infused with vanilla and laced with cinnamon, you will be sure to make this comfort food a dessert staple.
- 50 mins
- 6 servings
- ¾ cup medium-or long grain rice (Jasmine or Basmati work well)
- 1½ cups water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 4 cups whole milk
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 Rodelle Vanilla Bean, split and scraped
- Ground cinnamon
- Rodelle Vanilla Bean Whip Cream (see recipe)
- Fruit sauce
- Combine the rice, water, and salt in a large, heavy saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, and then reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the milk, sugar and Rodelle Vanilla Bean, and cook, uncovered, for 30 to 40 minutes, stirring frequently, especially toward the end of cooking.
- The pudding is done when the rice and milk coalesce into a thick porridge.
- Do not over-cook or the pudding will become solid instead of creamy once cooled.
- Remove from heat and spoon into six 5-or 6-ounce custard cups or ramekins, then press plastic wrap directly onto the surface to prevent a skin. Serve warm, at room temperature, or cold.
- If desired, sprinkle with cinnamon and/or top with Rodelle Vanilla Bean Whip Cream (see recipe) or a fruit sauce.