Slightly sweet with a great flavor from vanilla beans, these pretzels are perfect treat for home or as a DIY gift for your foodie friends!
- 140 mins
- 12 servings
- 4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 cups warm water (110 degrees F)
- 5 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Rodelle Vanilla Beans, split and scraped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 4 cups hot water
- 1/4 cup vanilla sugar (see note)
To Make Vanilla Sugar
- Pour 1 cup Demerara sugar into a pint size mason jar.
- Split a Rodelle Vanilla Bean, leaving seeds intact.
- Bury the bean in the sugar and shake the jar occasionally.
- Add the split and scraped beans to the jar from other recipes.
- Refill the jar with sugar as needed.
- Use the sugar in coffee or tea - there are lots of uses for vanilla sugar so get creative!
To Make the Pretzels
- In a small bowl, dissolve the yeast and 1 tablespoon granulated sugar in the 1 1/4 cups warm water. Let stand until creamy, about 10 minutes.
- In a large bowl, or the bowl of a stand mixer, mix together the flour, 1/2 cup granulated sugar, and salt.
- Make a well in the center and add the yeast mixture and oil. Mix and form into a dough.
- If the mixture is too dry, add one or two tablespoons of water.
- Knead the dough with a hook attachment until smooth, about 5 minutes, or by hand, about 7-8 minutes.
- Lightly oil a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl, turn to coat the dough with the oil, then cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Grease 2 baking sheets.
- In a large bowl, dissolve the baking soda in 4 cups of hot water, set aside.
- When dough has risen, turn out onto a floured surface.
- Divide into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a long rope, about 12-14 inches and twist into a pretzel shape.
- Once all of the dough is shaped, dip each pretzel into the baking soda water solution and place on the baking sheets.
- Sprinkle with vanilla sugar.
- Bake in oven until browned, about 8 minutes.
- Serve plain or with flavored cream cheese, melted chocolate, frosting...and enjoy!