Our homemade vanilla ice cream recipe is to melt for! It’s the perfect thick yet creamy texture topped off by a rush of sweetness from our Rodelle Vanilla Beans.
- | Medium
- | 120 mins
- | 6 servings
DirectionsVanilla Ice Cream
- Beat eggs and milk together in a large saucepan.
- Add the sugar. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until thickened (approx. 10 minutes).
- Mixture should smoothly coat the spoon. Cool in an ice bath for 15 minutes.
- Add the cream and vanilla and return to the ice bath for an additional hour (or refrigerate overnight and make the ice cream the following day, preferred method).
- Add the mixture to the bowl of the ice cream maker and mix until thick and creamy.
- Transfer to an airtight container and freeze for about 2 hours.
- Remove from freezer about 15 minutes prior to serving.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, and salt. Whisk in the egg whites, butter, and Rodelle Vanilla Bean until well combined.
- Let the batter sit at room temperature for 45 minutes.
- Drop rounded tablespoons of batter about 6 inches apart onto the baking sheet. Spread the batter with an offset spatula or the back of a spoon into 6-inch rounds.
- Bake in the middle of the oven until golden and lightly brown around the edges (approx. 6 to 8 minutes).
- To shape, roll a piece of parchment paper or copy paper into a cone shape. Gently loosen a cookie from the baking sheet with the offset spatula, then turn it over so the smooth side is facing up. Roll the cookie into a cone and insert the cone shape paper into the cone. Hold the bottom of the cone together for several second until the cookie holds it shape.
- Carefully slip the cone into a Champagne flute and let it cool completely. Shape the remaining cookies.
- If the cookies become too brittle to roll, return the baking sheet to the oven for a few seconds to soften.
- Make and shape more cookies with the remaining batter.
- Drop a tsp of batter onto the baking sheet. Shape the cookies into triangles and bake as directed.
- Remove from the cookie sheet and cool on rack.
- Scoop ice cream into a bowl and pierce the top of the ice cream with the long point of the cookie triangle.
- If you break the cone, use the pieces as a garnish when serving the ice cream in a bowl.
Vanilla Ice Cream
- 3 egg yolks (reserve the whites for the cookie cones)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp Rodelle Vanilla Extract
- 1 whole Rodelle Vanilla Bean, split and scraped
We used frozen bowl type ice cream makers. Both the electric and hand crank took approx. 20 minutes to achieve desired results.
- ½ cup all- purpose flour
- ½ cup sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3 large egg whites, lightly whisked
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 Rodelle Vanilla Bean, split and scraped