The dreamy vanilla bean cream filling combined with luscious berries and tart fruit make this one of the most tempting and lovely desserts you’ll ever create.
- | Medium
- | 190 mins
- | 8 servings
DirectionsVanilla bean pastry cream
- Heat the half & half, 6 tablespoons of the sugar, and the salt in a saucepan over medium-high heat until simmering, stirring occasionally to dissolve the sugar.
- Meanwhile, combine the egg yolks and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar in a medium bowl and whisk until the sugar has begun to dissolve and the mixture is creamy, about 15 seconds. Whisk in the cornstarch until combined and the mixture is pale yellow and thick, about 30 seconds.
- When the half & half mixture has reached a simmer, slowly add it to the egg yolk mixture to temper, whisking constantly. Return the mixture to the saucepan, scraping the bowl with a rubber spatula. Return the mixture to a simmer over medium heat, whisking constantly, until a few bubbles burst on the surface and the mixture is thickened and glossy, about 30 seconds.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the butter and Rodelle Vanilla Extract.
- Strain the pastry cream through a fine mesh sieve set over a medium bowl. Stir in the Rodelle Vanilla Bean Seeds, distributing evenly.
- Press plastic wrap directly on the surface to prevent a skin from forming and refrigerate until cold and set, about 3 hours.
- Place the flour in a bowl and rub in the butter, using your fingertips, until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Note: You may also use a food processor, pulsing until ingredients, in order, are just combined. Do not over-mix.
- Stir in sugar and Rodelle Vanilla Bean and add enough cold water to mix to a firm dough. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 15 minutes, until firm enough to roll out.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured counter and use to line a 9-inch loose-bottom round tart pan. Prick the bottom with a fork and chill for 15 minutes.
- Place the tart pan on a cookie sheet and line the inside with a sheet of parchment paper. Weigh down parchment paper with dried beans or pie weights. Bake in oven for 10 minutes.
- Remove the paper and beans and bake for an additional 5 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove to wire rack to cool.
- Spread the cooled pastry cream evenly over the bottom of the tart shell.
- Arrange the fruit and berries on top of the pastry cream as desired.
- Heat the jelly in the microwave for about 20 seconds or until slightly melted and easy to stir.
- Using a pastry brush, paint a light layer of the jelly over the fresh fruit to glaze.
Vanilla bean pastry cream
- 2 cups Half & Half
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- Pinch salt
- 5 large egg yolks
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cut into 4 pieces
- 1 teaspoon Rodelle Gourmet Vanilla Extract
- ½ Rodelle Vanilla Bean, split and scraped
- 1 ¾ cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ Rodelle Vanilla Bean, split and scraped (reserve ½ for pastry cream)
- A little cold water
- 3 kiwis, peeled and thinly sliced
- ½ cup raspberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- Apple jelly, for glazing