This classic pie has a firm yet delicate egg crust, and the filling has an elegant variation of a usual cherry pie with cherry brandy, allspice, almond and vanilla extracts.
- | Medium
- | 120 mins
- | 8 servings
- To make pie dough, sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Stir in the allspice, salt, sugar, and Rodelle Vanilla Bean, split and scraped. Transfer to the bowl of a food processor and pulse in the butter until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Put the mixture back into the large bowl and add the beaten egg and mix into a firm dough.
- Cut the dough in half and roll each into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Grease a 9-inch round pie dish. Roll out the pie dough into two 12-inch rounds (you may have extra dough). Use one to line the pie dish, trimming the edge to leave an overhang of about ½-inch.
- To make the filling, put half of the cherries and the sugar in a large saucepan. Bring to a simmer over low heat, stirring frequently for 5 minutes, or until the sugar has dissolved. Stir in the Rodelle Almond Extract, brandy, Rodelle Vanilla Extract, and allspice.
- In a separate bowl, mix thecornstarch and water to form a paste.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat, stir in the cornstarch paste, then return to the heat and stir continuously until the mixture boils and thickens.
- Let cool a little and stir in the remaining cherries, pour into the pastry shell, then dot with the butter.
- Cut the remaining dough round into long strips about ½-inch wide. Lay five strips evenly across the top of the filling in the same direction.
- Now lay six strips crosswise over the strips, folding back every other strip each time you add another crosswise strip, to for a lattice.
- Trim off the ends and seal the edges with water. Use your fingers to crimp around the rim, then brush the top with beaten egg to blaze. Cover with foil, then bake in the oven for 30 minutes. Discard the foil, and then bake for an additional 15 minutes, or until golden.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for dusting
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 Rodelle Vanilla Bean, split and scraped
- 8 tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, diced, plus a little extra for greasing the pie dish
- 2 eggs, beaten, plus extra for glazing
- 2 pounds pitted fresh tart cherries, or drained canned tart cherries
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon Rodelle Almond Extract
- 2 teaspoons cherry brandy
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon Rodelle Vanilla Extract
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced