We’ve created a unique version of the traditional Jewish egg bread. We’ve wrapped it in a warm vanilla flavor and topped with an egg wash that includes a spattering of beautiful vanilla beans.
- | Medium
- | 60 mins
- | 4 servings
- 4 ½ - 5 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp Rodelle Gourmet Vanilla Extract
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 4 eggs
- 1 egg white
- 1 Rodelle Vanilla Bean, scraped
- 1 tbsp water
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, salt, and yeast; blend well.
- In a small saucepan, heat 1 cup water, vanilla extract, and butter until very warm (120°F.)
- Add warm liquid and 4 eggs to flour mixture.
- Blend at low speed until moistened. Then beat 3 minutes at medium speed.
- Stir in an additional 2 to 2 ½ cups flour until dough pulls cleanly away from sides of bowl.
- On a floured surface, knead in ½ to 1 cup flour until dough is smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- Place dough in greased bowl; cover loosely with plastic wrap and cloth towel. Let rise in warm place until light and doubled in size, about 35 minutes.
- Grease large cookie sheet.
- Punch down dough several times to remove all air bubbles. Divide dough in half; dived each half into 3 equal parts.
- Roll each part into 14-inch rope.
- Braid 3 ropes together; seal ends by pressing firmly together. Place on greased cookie sheet.
- Repeat with other half of dough.
- Cover; let rise in warm place until doubled in size, about 15 to 25 minutes.
- Heat oven to 400° F. Uncover dough.
- Bake 10 minutes. Brush with mixture of egg white, vanilla bean, and 1 tbsp water.
- Return to oven; bake an additional 5-10 minutes, or until loaves sound hollow when lightly tapped.
- Immediately remove from cookie sheet; cool on wire racks.