An apple a day keeps the doctor away! Get yours in with an extra helping of delectable caramel.
- | Easy
- | 45 mins
- | 8 servings
- Prepare 6-8 apples for dipping, wash and dry thoroughly.
- Insert a craft stick into the top of each apple at the stem.
- Prepare an ice water bath for the pot you are using to make the caramel.
- Combine the sugar, cream, corn syrup, butter and salt into a medium saucepan.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture reaches 250 degrees Fahrenheit on a candy thermometer (about 10-20 minutes depending on your altitude).
- Add the vanilla extract and vanilla seeds to the pot, stir well.
- Immediately submerge the bottom of the pan in the ice water bath and chill until bubbles subside, about one minute. Remove from the bath.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Hold an apple by the craft stick, submerge in the caramel and either roll in topping of your choice (nuts, granola, crushed pretzels, chocolate chips, candy, etc) or simply place on the parchment sheet.
- Once the caramel hardens, you can wrap each apple individually in parchment, or store in a tall food container.