Lightly sweetened vanilla whipped cream, delicious custard filling and a vanilla wafer crumb crust all perfectly compliment bananas in this Ultimate Vanilla Banana Cream Pie!
- | Easy
- | 10 servings
- Slice each banana into 1/4-inch thick slices and arrange on the bottom of the prepared pie crust. You should have enough banana slices for 2-3 layers of fruit.
- Cut the vanilla bean in half lengthwise and, using the back of a knife or spoon, scrape the seeds out of the vanilla pod
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, vanilla and 2 cups of milk.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally to dissolve the sugar.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together remaining 1/2 cup milk, eggs, cornstarch and salt until smooth. When the vanilla milk comes to a simmer, slowly temper the egg mixture by stream about 1 cup of the hot milk into the the medium bowl while whisking continuously.
- Pour everything back into the saucepan and cook for 3-5 minutes, whisking frequently, until the custard thickens and begins to bubble.
- Remove custard from heat and pour over the banana slices in the pie crust. Tap the pie plate gently on the counter to remove any air bubbles.
- Cover the top of the custard with a piece of plastic wrap to prevent skin from forming, then chill for about 3 hours, or overnight, until completely set.
- In a large bowl, beat heavy cream to soft peaks. Whip in confectioners’ sugar and vanilla bean paste or scrape the seeds out of half a vanilla bean.
- Mix until vanilla is well-incorporated and cream comes to stiff peaks. Spread whipped cream over set vanilla cream filling. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Note: This recipe was originally developed for Rodelle by Nicole from Baking Bites.
- 1 9-inch vanilla wafer crumb crust, baked and cooled (or use your favorite store-bought variety
- 3 large, ripe bananas
- 1 Rodelle Gourmet Vanilla Bean
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 cups milk, divided (preferably whole)
- 2 large eggs
- 3 1/2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tsp Rodelle Pure Vanilla Bean Paste or 1/2 of a Rodelle Vanilla Bean, split and scraped