Savory Sweet Potato Waffles are elevated with a light arugula salad and vanilla bean candied bacon and almonds. This recipe is great for breakfast, brunch and breakfast for dinner! e
- | Medium
- | 45 mins
- | 6 servings
- Steam the potatoes in steamer basket for 20 minutes, or use directions on package if bought frozen.
- At this point, prepare your salad and dressing. Toss together the arugula, grapes, and apples. In a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt, vinegar, maple syrup, vanilla seeds, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Prepare the bacon and almonds. Cook the bacon in 2 batches in a 12-inch skillet over moderate heat, turning once, until bacon is lightly browned on edges but still flexible, 5 – 6 minutes total per batch.
- In a small bowl or ramekin, combine the vanilla seeds with the sugar.
- Transfer cooked bacon to paper towels to drain.
- Pour off fat from skillet (reserve a few tablespoons for cooking the nuts).
- Arrange the bacon in the skillet in 1 layer. Sprinkle ½ cup of sugar mixture over the bacon and cook over low heat, turning occasionally with tongs, until sugar is dissolved, caramelized, and coats bacon. Sugar melts very slowly and burns easily; reduce heat if necessary after sugar begins to caramelize, about 8 to 10 minutes. Bacon will be dark and look lacquered.
- Transfer the bacon to a piece of parchment paper or food-grade brown paper to cool. Do NOT use paper towels as the bacon will stick to it!
- Add a little bacon grease back to the skillet, heat, then toss in the almonds. Brown them slightly, sprinkle with remaining sugar mixture, and cook, turning often, until coated, and caramelized. Remove to parchment or brown paper to cool.
- For the waffles, preheat your waffle iron.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt and pepper and set aside.
- In another bowl mash the cooked sweet potatoes, then combine with milk, brown sugar, butter, vanilla extract, and grated orange rind.
- Stir the sweet potato mixture into the flour mixture and thoroughly combine.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Gradually fold the egg whites into the batter, 1/3 at a time. The batter will be thick.
- Spray your heated waffle iron with cooking oil. Drop scoops of batter onto your iron, spread the dough to just meet the edge of the waffle cutout. Cook until lightly browned.
- To serve, top waffle(s) with dressed salad mixture, top with a couple of slices of bacon, and sprinkle the nuts on top.
Savory Sweet Potato Waffles
- 1/2 cups peeled and cubed sweet potatoes
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground pepper
- 6 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon Rodelle Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- Vegetable spray, for waffle iron
Candied Bacon and Almonds
- 10 slices of bacon
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 3/4 cup raw sugar
- ¼ Rodelle Vanilla Bean, split and scraped
Arugula Salad & Dressing
- 3 cups arugula
- 1 ½ cups grapes, halved
- 1 apple sliced thin (1/4 – inch slices)
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/2 Rodelle Vanilla Bean, split and scraped; or 1/4 teaspoon Rodelle Vanilla Paste
- 1/8 teaspoon Rodelle Organic Ground Ceylon Cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt