Created by Lyndsy Hassett, of La Jolla, CA. Our 2012 Great American Ice Cream Challenge 3rd place!
- 4 servings
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil, (high quality, sweet variety like Arbequina & Koroneiki)
- 1 1/3 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 egg yolks
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
For Roasted Apricot Topping:
- 6 ripe, fresh apricots, sliced in half, de-pitted
- 1 tsp Rodelle Vanilla Extract
- 3-4 T white wine
- 2 T honey
- 1/2 cup roasted pistachios, de-shelled & crushed
- Himalayan pink sea salt (or regular sea salt!), to taste
- Start by reviewing your ice cream maker/mixer attachment instructions, freezing ice cream mixer bowl for at least 15 hours.
- Set up mixer accordingly.
Make Custard/Ice Cream Mixture:
- In a mixing bowl, pour just cream and set a mesh strainer over bowl, set aside.
- On stove in saucepan, warm milk, sugar, salt slowly till just warmed.
- In another medium bowl, whisk egg yolks & slowly pour warm milk mix into yolks whisking constantly (to temper them).
- Then immediately pour/scrape combined egg yolk mix back into saucepan.
- Stir mix over medium heat constantly scraping bottom to make sure no solid begins to stick on pan. Stir until mixture thickens and coats spatula (be careful not to overheat and over-thicken!).
- Pour custard through a mesh strainer atop bowl containing he cream.
- Whisk olive oil vigorously into combined custard/cream mix until well incorporated.
- Stir combined mixture over an ice bath (larger bowl with water and ice) continuously till mixture could down.
- Chill mix in fridge well, about 40 minutes.
- Use cooled mixture in ice cream maker according to directions. (Mine goes in frozen bowl on my Kitchenaid and stirs for about 25 min. Then remove ice-cream with spatula from bowl and put into shallow, airtight container and freeze ice cream to desiree firmness. After about an hour mine was soft-set but good!
Make Honey Roasted Apricot Topping:
- Rinse, halve and de-pit apricots in a shallow baking dish, lay apricot halves, face down and drizzle with honey, white wine and vanilla extract.
- Roast in oven on 350 degrees uncovered for about 20 min. (baste with juices halfway through)
- In small pan on stove, slightly heat/roast crushed pistachios adding desired amount of pink sea salt. Remove from heat.
- Dish ice cream, topping with roasted apricots and pistachios!
- This is an unlikely flavor but an awesome dessert! Use high-quality extra virgin oil, best from a specialty store. The apricots are an amazing topping and easy to roast in the oven while ice cream firms. Can make apricots ahead and store as well.