This family-friendly, slow cooked dish features a rich homemade mole’ sauce made with Rodelle Cocoa & Cinnamon. Serve on Rodelle’s Spice Mix flour tortillas with our fresh and tasty Jicama Salad.
- 480 mins
- 6 servings
- 1/2 cup whole almonds
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 1/2 - 2 3/4 pounds pork shoulder roast, trimmed
- 1 14-1/2 ounce can fire roasted or diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons Rodelle Gourmet Baking Cocoa
- 2 tablespoons chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon Rodelle Gourmet Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Chopped cilantro for garnish
- Heat a skillet over med-light heat. Add almonds and toast for 2-3 minutes or until fragrant. Add raisins, cook 1 to 2 minutes until raisins begin to plump. Place the mixture in a mixing bowl. In the same skillet add 1 tablespoon oil, add onions and garlic. Cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes until softened. Add to the almond and mixture set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in same skillet, add pork roast and brown on all sides, about 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a 4-6 quart crock pot.
- Combine the whole can of tomatoes, broth, Rodelle Cocoa, Cinnamon, chipotle peppers, and salt with the almond mixture. Puree in a blender in a couple of batches until smooth.
- Pour puree over pork roast in crock pot, cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 8 hours or on HIGH 3 to 4 hours or until the pork is done.
- Remove pork from crock pot and pull apart with a fork. Whisk sauce until smooth before spooning over pork pieces. Garnish with cilantro, if desired.
- For tortillas, click here!