Soft and buttery shortbread cookies are topped with a vanilla bean glaze that will harden to create a simple and easy treat to whip up in under 30 minutes.
Follow along with our how-to video here!
- 1 stick sweet cream butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoon Rodelle Vanilla Paste, divided
- 1 egg, divided
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Salt and sprinkles for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a small or standard sized baking sheet with parchment.
- In a medium bowl, using a standing mixer or hand mixer, whip the butter, sugar and 1 tablespoon of the Rodelle Vanilla Paste together until pale and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add in the egg yolk, reserving the egg white for the glaze. Mix just until combined before adding the flour and mixing until a dough forms.
- Using a 2-inch scoop, shape 10 cookies onto the prepared baking sheet setting the cooking about 1 inch away from each other. Bake in the preheated oven for 14-16 minutes.
- For the icing, mix the lemon juice with the egg white until slightly frothy. Add 2 teaspoons of the egg white mixture to the powdered sugar and remaining Rodelle Vanilla Paste. Using a whisk, mix the icing together until uniform. If the frosting is too stiff add in water 1 teaspoon at a time. The mixture should be runny but not a liquid. Whip the frosting until light and fluffy and holds its form.
- While the cookies are still warm, frost each cookie with about 2 teaspoons of icing, adding the sprinkles and salt immediately. Frosting will harden in a few minutes. Serve warm or cool.
- Keeps for 3 days.
Note: this recipe was prepared for Rodelle by @oliveandartisan.