The vanilla essence unifies the salty, smoky, and sweet flavors to make this soup smooth, flavorful, and complex. The ingredients are simple, but every one counts!
- | 60 mins
- | 7 servings
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- In a heavy oven-proof pot or 3 quart casserole pot, sauté bacon in one tbsp butter.
- Once starting to crisp, add onion and celery, sauté one minute, add flour and stir to combine; add vegetable stock, reserved clam juice, heavy cream, bay leaf, the Rodelle Vanilla Beans along with the pods, and the potatoes.
- Bring to just boiling, stirring often. Cover and remove to oven.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Remove the Rodelle Vanilla Bean pods and the bay leaf.
- Stir in the clams, and shrimp, then salt and pepper to taste. Place back in oven and cook for 15 more minutes.
- 3 slices thick cut applewood smoked bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, medium dice
- 1/2 pound medium raw shrimp
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 10-ounce can clams in water
- chopped, reserve juice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 Rodelle Vanilla Beans, split, scraped, reserve beans
- 1 pound Yukon Gold potatoes cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- Salt and pepper to taste