This vanilla buttercream topping is great for almost any cake or cupcake recipe! It’s thick, creamy, sweet and smooth- and it’s such a simple recipe to make.
- 15 mins
- 24 servings
- 4 egg whites
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp Rodelle Pure Vanilla Extract (or 2 Rodelle Vanilla Bean, split and scraped)
- 4 sticks (2 cups or 32 tbsp. or 16 oz.)unsalted butter, room temperature
- 5 cups powdered sugar plus more for consistency
- Optional: Replace 2 sticks of butter with cream cheese.
- Place egg whites, salt, Rodelle Vanilla Extract, and sugar in a large mixing bowl, whisk thoroughly.
- Place egg white mixture in a double boiler and heat water to a simmer on LOW to just warm the egg whites (the small amount of indirect warmth from the water underneath will help dissolve the sugar while NOT cooking the eggs).
- Heat until sugar is dissolved, about 3-5 minutes.
- Set egg white mixture aside and let cool.
- With the paddle attachment on an electric mixer, cream butter on medium until creamy.
- Slowly add the egg white mixture ½ cup at a time, scraping down sides as needed.
- Change to the whisk attachment and whisk for 2-3 minutes until creamy and well incorporated.
- Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, mixing on medium and then high in between.
- Mix on high for 1-2 minutes until frosting is light and fluffy.
- If the frosting is too heavy, add additional powdered sugar (1/4 cup at a time) until fluffy.