Shrimp, applewood smoked bacon, and vodka cream sauce with a hint of vanilla drizzled over penne noodles. This is one of the most luxurious pasta dishes you’ll ever eat!
- 35 mins
- 4 servings
- 3 pieces applewood smoked bacon, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups raw shrimp, tail off
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 Rodelle Vanilla Beans, split and scraped
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- Salt, TT
- 1/3 cup Rodelle Vanilla Bean Infused
- Vodka, or unflavored vodka
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 pound penne pasta cooked al dente,
- about 5 cups dry
- 2 tbsp Italian parsley, chopped
- Parmesan, if desired
- In a heavy saucepan, cook bacon until crispy. Remove from pot and drain on paper towel.
- Cook shrimp in bacon grease for about 2 minutes, remove from pot and set aside with the bacon.
- Boil water for pasta in a large 4 quart saucepan.
- Retain 1 tbsp drippings in the pot, add 1 tbsp olive oil. Add the onions and tomato paste and sauté for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add garlic, scraped Rodelle Vanilla Bean seeds, and pepper flakes. Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in diced tomatoes and ½ tsp salt.
- Remove saucepan from heat and add Rodelle Vanilla Bean Infused Vodka (or unflavored vodka).
- Start cooking pasta in boiling water.
- Return sauce to medium-high heat and simmer briskly stirring often until alcohol flavor is cooked off, 8 to 10 minutes, reducing heat if simmering becomes too vigorous.
- Stir in cream and ½ teaspoon salt and cook until hot about 1 minute.
- Use an immersion blender to smooth out the texture of the sauce. Add the shrimp and bacon back to the sauce, stir to combine and cook on low heat for about 2-3 minutes.
- Drain pasta and add back to the cook pot. Add the sauce to the pasta and toss until well combined.
- Remove to a large serving bowl and garnish with parsley.
- Once plated, sprinkle on Parmesan, if desired.