Nothing rivals the taste of these Colorado native, juicy, and slightly tart peaches in a traditional rustic peach pie. In just one hour you’ll have an incredible treasure fresh out of the oven.
- | Easy
- | 60 mins
- | 4 servings
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- In a small ramekin, mix together the Rodelle Vanilla Bean scraped seeds, and the sugar until well incorporated. Toss the peach slices with the flour, sugar and vanilla mixture, lemon juice and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- With paddle attachment, mix both flours and salt on low speed for about 1 minute.
- Add the butter and combine it with the flour on low to medium speed for about 1 minute.
- Add the water and mix the dough on low to medium speed for 40 seconds to 2 minutes, or until it looks like gravel. If it is still powdery and looks like grated Parmesan cheese after 2 minutes, pinch a piece to see if it comes together. If it falls apart, add 2 more tablespoons cold water, if it holds together in a clump, continue mixing. If at any point the dough no longer feels cold, refrigerate or freeze for 15 minutes.
- Mix dough on low to medium speed for 1 to 4 minutes until it clumps together into a cohesive mass- you'll hear the motor straining.
- Divide into two balls and flatted to a disk shapes.
- Dust flat surface with some flour.
- Roll the disks into rounds about 8 to 10- inches in diameter. Place on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Arrange the peaches in the center of the pie dough, spiraling outward to within 1-inch of edge. Brush the perimeter with egg wash. Fold the edges up over the fruit, pinching the dough after every fold to seal the edges.
- Brush the folded edges with egg wash and sprinkle with course or regular granulated sugar.
- Bake until pastry is golden brown and the peaches are hot and juicy, about 20 minutes. Cool on wire rack for at least 20 minutes before slicing.
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 Rodelle Vanilla Bean, split and scraped
- 1 tablespoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 large or 3 medium peaches, peeled and sliced into 1/4 - inch thick slices
Crust - makes 2 pies
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (plus 1/4 cup for dusting surface)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cut into cubes
- 7 tablespoons cold water (2 tablespoons extra if dough is too dry)
- 1 egg, beaten for egg wash
- 2 tablespoons coarse sugar