This surprisingly simple recipe embodies the holidays. The buttery cookie is wonderful with fragrant vanilla flavor! This recipe is sure to impress at your cookie party or your holiday dinner!
- | Easy
- | 60 mins
- | 24 servings
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Beat butter, granulated sugar, and Rodelle Gourmet Vanilla Extract in a mixer bowl on medium speed, until smooth. On low speed, beat-in the egg yolk. Add flour, cornstarch, and salt. Mix on low speed with paddle attachment until dough comes together in a ball. Wrap the ball in plastic and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Divide the dough in half. Dust a rolling surface and your rolling pin with flour. Roll each portion to about 1/8 inch thickness.
- Using a 2 to 3-inch star shaped cutter, cut out the cookies. Use a ½ - inch cutter to cut out the centers of half the cookies to make a window for the jam filling. Bake the cut-outs separately, or gather the dough and roll to form more cookies for sandwiches.
- Place the cookies on baking sheets about 1 inch apart and bake until edges are just beginning to brown, about 10 to 12 minutes. Rotate baking sheets in oven if using more than one at a time.
- Transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- To form sandwich, spread the flat side of the whole cookies with about ½ teaspoon of jam. Top each with a cut-out cookie, flat side toward the filling. Sprinkle the tops with powdered sugar.
- These cookies are best eaten the day they are filled, or store unfilled cookies in an airtight container for 3 days or freeze for longer.