This recipe is made with mom in mind! It is a quick and easy treat for the kiddos that can be prepared as a popcorn ball or just loose in a bowl. It’s a creative recipe that’s great for the holidays!
- | Easy
- | 35 mins
- | 8 servings
DirectionsCocoa Popcorn Balls
- In a large, glass, measuring cup, combine the brown sugar, syrup, salt, butter, and Rodelle Pure Vanilla
- Extract to make the syrup. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir and put back in microwave for 2 more minutes. Add the baking soda and stir well (mixture will foam).
- Place the popped-popcorn and Rodelle Baking Cocoa in a large brown paper bag.
- Shake well to distribute the cocoa evenly over the popcorn.
- Pour the syrup into the bag and shake to coat.
- Turn the bag under to close, and microwave on high for 1 minute.
- Pour contents onto a cookie sheet.
- When popcorn mixture is still warm, form into balls in an ice cream scoop with medium pressure, and let cool to harden.
- Drizzle popcorn balls with Rodelle Vanilla Bean caramel sauce.
- Chef Note: This process takes 15 minutes. In order to get a rich caramel flavor, make sure to let the caramel develop.
- Combine the sugar and water in a heavy saucepan. Set over medium-high heat and swirl the saucepan gently by the handle until the sugar is dissolved and the syrup is clear.
- Avoid letting the syrup boil until the sugar is completely dissolved.
- Increase the heat to high, cover and boil the syrup for 2 minutes. Uncover the saucepan and continue to boil the syrup until it begins to darken around the edges. Gently swirl the pan by the handle until the syrup turns a deep amber and begins to smoke.
- Remove from the heat and add the butter. Gently beat until the butter is incorporated. Stir in the cream.
- If the sauce becomes lumpy, set the pan over low heat and stir until smooth. Turn off the heat and stir in the vanilla bean seeds and pinch of salt.
- Serve warm at room temperature. Sauce can be covered and refrigerated for up to one month. Reheat in double broiler or a heavy saucepan over very low heat, adding a bit of water if it’s too thick.
Cocoa Popcorn Balls
- 1 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon Rodelle Gourmet Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ cup Rodelle Baking Cocoa
- 4 cups popped unflavored popcorn, popped
Vanilla Bean Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ cup water
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 Rodelle Vanilla Bean, split and scraped
- Pinch of salt