These French inspired delights are decadently layered with a mouthwatering peanut butter filling. You will never again be tempted to indulge in a plain old peanut butter cup after sampling these!
- | Medium
- | 50 mins
- | 12 servings
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and have a pastry bag with a plain ½ inch tip ready, (we used a zip lock style baggie and cut ¼ inch of the corner off which made a ½ inch opening).
- In a food processor, grind together the powdered sugar with the almond flour and cocoa so there are no lumps, about 10 one second pulses.
- In the bowl of a standing electric mixer, beat the egg whites until they begin to rise and hold their shape.
- While whipping, beat in the granulated sugar until very stiff and firm, about 2 minutes.
- Carefully fold the dry ingredients, in two batches, into the beaten egg whites with a flexible rubber spatula. When the mixture is just smooth and there are no streaks of egg white.
- Spoon the batter into the pastry bag (or baggie). You may need two batches.
- Pipe the batter onto the baking sheets in 1 to 1 ½ inch circles, spaced evenly one inch apart.
- Rap the baking sheet a few times firmly on your counter top to flatten the macarons, and then bake them for 15 to 18 minutes. Let cool completely, then remove from the baking sheets.
- Cream all ingredients to a smooth consistency.
- Spread the filling on the bottom side of one cookie, then top with the bottom side of another cookie facing the filling to make a sandwich. Use as much filling as you desire, we used about 2 teaspoons per cookie.
- To enhance the flavors, let the macarons stand for a day before serving. Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days or freeze.
- If you do freeze them, defrost in the unopened container to avoid condensation which will make the macarons soggy.
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup almond flour (finely ground almonds)
- 3 tbsp Rodelle Gourmet Baking Cocoa
- 2 large egg whites, room temperature
- 5 tbsp granulated sugar
Peanut Butter Filling:
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tbsp softened butter
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 2 tsp Rodelle Gourmet Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp fine sea salt