Spicy, rich, and flavorful! This is the perfect chili for any event. The rich cocoa color, savory vegetables, and easy-to-make recipe, makes this chili one of a kind!
- 60 mins
- 4 servings
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 jalapeno peppers chopped seeds removed
- 1 Anaheim pepper chopped seeds removed
- 2 cloves garlic crushed and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 pound lean ground meat (or meat substitute)
- 2 tsp salt, divided
- 1 15 ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can pinto beans, rinsed
- 1 15 ounce can crushed peeled tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable broth, plus additional 1 cup if needed
- 1 tbsp molasses
- 3 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper
- 3 tbsp Rodelle Gourmet Baking Cocoa
- 1 cup amber beer
- Heat oil in heavy, 4-quart saucepan or Dutch oven. Saute the peppers, garlic, and onions over medium heat for 1 minute.
- Add the ground meat and 1 tsp salt and brown until beef is crumbly and medium rare.
- Add the beans and tomatoes, combining the ingredients well.
- Add the broth, molasses, cumin, remaining salt, chili powder, crushed red pepper, and Rodelle Gourmet Baking Cocoa.
- Stir well, bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the beer, cover and simmer over low heat for another 15 minutes.
- Uncover, stir, and add more broth if the chili is too thick and adjust seasonings if desired. Cover and simmer for 1/2 hour more.
- Serve with diced red onions and shredded cheddar cheese or a dollop of sour cream.