Fresh crab, a few slices of prosciutto, steamed asparagus, a perfectly poached egg, and our Champagne & Vanilla Bean Hollandaise Sauce. Now this is truly an awesome Benedict!
- 20 mins
- 4 servings
For the Benedict
- 2 English muffins, split and lightly toasted
- 6-8 ounces prosciutto (12-16 thin slices)
- 1 1/3 cup (about 1/2 pound) fresh, real crab meat (not canned)
- 12 spears fresh asparagus, steamed
- 4 eggs, poached to desired doneness
For the Hollandaise Sauce
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 pound butter, cut into small pieces and divided
- 1/2 cup champagne
- 1 Rodelle Vanilla Bean, split and scraped
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- pinch of salt
Prepare the Hollandaise sauce
- Use very low heat, this is the secret to preparing the perfect hollandaise sauce
- In the top of a double boiler (or better yet, a round bottom stainless steel bowl that fits on to the top of a small saucepan, but does not touch the water), set over low simmering water, but not touching the water, whisk the egg yolks and lemon vigorously until thickened and doubled in volume.
- The trick is to heat the egg yolks enough to get them thick, but stop before they reach 160+ degrees Fahrenheit. Do not rush this step. The pan should be cool enough to touch at all times.
- Add 1/2 of the butter and 1/2 of the champagne, whisking constantly, still over low heat, until the butter is melted. Be sure to melt the butter slowly so the eggs have time to cook without curdling or scrambling.
- Add the remaining butter and champagne and continue to whisk until the butter melts again.
- If you notice that the sauce is beginning to look grainy and slightly curdled, the sauce is about to break. Immediately stop what you are doing and add a small splash of cool water, then whisk vigorously until smooth. Resume your process (adding butter or champagne).
- Add the Rodelle Vanilla Bean seeds, vinegar and salt, whisking until combined.
- Keep the sauce warm over the double boiler (heat turned off with just the warm water below), until ready to serve.
- Now that the Hollandaise sauce is
- being kept warm, poach your eggs and
- warm your prosciutto.
- Layer the ingredients on a plate in order:
- 1/2 of an English muffin, followed by 3-4 slices prosciutto, 1/3 cup crab meat, 3/4 spears asparagus, 1 poached egg and, finally, 1/4 cup Hollandaise sauce.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Check out some of our other brunch-inspired recipes to make your spread truly unforgettable! Vanilla Bean Banana Pancakes, Vanilla Berry Turnovers, and wash it down with either a Sriracha Bloody Mary or a Vanilla Blood Orange Champagne Cocktail!