Crisp apple, with sweet vanilla bean flavors combined with a buttery sweet crust… Mmmm… this one-of-a-kind recipes makes delicious recipe and easy go-to recipe on the go!
- | Easy
- | 90 mins
- | 6 servings
- Combine ingredients in a medium bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat Oven to 375°F.
- In a stand mixer with paddle attachment, mix flours, salt, and sugar on very low speed for about 30 seconds. Add the butter and continue mixing on low to medium speed for about 2 minutes, or until the butter is well combined.
- Add the egg and egg yolk and mix on low to medium speed for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the dough looks like gravel. If it is still powdery, pinch to see if it holds together. If it doesn’t, add another egg yolk and mix again for 1 to 4 minutes, until the mix looks like fine gravel, then coarse gravel, then finally comes together in a clumpy mass.
- Divide the dough in two, and flatten into disks. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
- Then divide one of the disks in two.
- Flour a flat work surface and flatten the disk. Roll into a rough oval about 4 ½ x 12-inches. The pastry should be about 1/8-inch or so in thickness.
- Using a 4-inch cutter, cut 3 circles.
- Put the dough on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper. Repeat with the other half of the dough disk.
- Place a heaping tbsp of apple filling onto the center of the pastry circle.
- Top the circle and filling with a second pastry round and using your fingers, crimp the edges together to seal.
- Repeat using the 2nd flattened disk and place on a second baking sheet covered with parchment paper. You will have six pies. You may have enough dough left over to make an additional pie.
- Refrigerate the pies on the baking sheets for 30 minutes.
- Remove from refrigerator and cut a small slit in each. Lightly brush with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the pies are golden brown. Let cool slightly before serving.
- 2 Granny Smith or Crisp Red apples, peeled, cored, and diced small
- 1/3 cup cane sugar
- 1 Rodelle Vanilla Bean, split and scraped
- 1 tsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2/3 cup cake flour
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1 cup cold butter, cut into 1/3-inch cubes
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg yolk (plus additional if necessary)
- One egg yolk beaten with 2 tablespoons water for the egg wash
- Coarse sugar (like turbinado), for decoration