Red Velvet aficionados and dessert foodies will appreciate these tempting cupcakes. They are red, moist, and chocolaty with the seductive bite of tasty cream cheese icing.
- | Medium
- | 55 mins
- | 10 servings
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a large cup muffin tin with large-size baking cups and spray the inside of them with vegetable oil.
- In a small ramekin, combine the vinegar and baking soda.
- Combine the rest of the dry ingredients into a mixing bowl. Add the eggs, milk, oil and Rodelle Vanilla Extract.
- Beat in a mixer for about 2 minutes, until smooth. Add the food coloring and vinegar mixture and mix until combined. Add the boiling water. Mix until blended.
- Fill the muffin cups half to just under three-quarters of the way to the top. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the center of the cupcakes springs back with lightly touched.
- Let cool and then frost.
- For icing – Combine the cream cheese, butter, and shortening in a bowl.
- Beat until smooth. Stir in the sugar and Rodelle Vanilla Bean and beat until combined and smooth and fluffy.
- If you prefer, you can easily make a 9"x13" pan by doubling this recipe. Fill the pan to 2/3. If there is leftover batter, make a few cupcakes! Adjust cooking time as needed.
- ¾ teaspoon white vinegar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda (use 1 ½ teaspoons at sea-level)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups flour
- ½ cup Rodelle Gourmet Baking Cocoa
- ½ teaspoon baking powder (use 1 ½ teaspoons at sea-level)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons Rodelle Gourmet Vanilla Extract
- 2 tablespoons red food coloring
- 1 cup boiling water
Frosting (or Rodelle Vanilla Buttercream recipe)
- 1 8-oz package cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1 Rodelle Vanilla Bean, scraped
- 1 cup powdered sugar