Delicious, savory and pillowy pumpkin ricotta gnocchi (gnudi) tossed in a vanilla bean brown butter sauce with fried sage.
- | Easy
- | 45 mins
- | 4 servings
DirectionsFor the Gnudi
- Place the ricotta on a triple layer of paper towels.
- Cover it with another triple layer and press down, releasing liquid from the cheese.
- Scoop the cheese into a bowl and weigh out exactly 6 ounces for the gnocchi.
- If there is any leftover, use it for another dish!
- In a bowl, stir together the ricotta, pumpkin, 1 1/4 cups of the flour, cheese, eggs, salt and pepper until just combined - using a rubber spatula.
- Add the remaining flour 1 tablespoon at a time until the dough comes together, forming a ball.
- Press the dough into a disk on a floured surface and cut it into four equal pieces.
- Take each piece and roll it into a log about 16 to 18 inches long. Cut 1-inch pieces with a sharp knife.
- To cook, bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Once it's simmering, add the gnocchi and cook about 2 to 3 minutes, until it floats for about 30 seconds.
- Remove with a large slotted spoon or sieve to drain.
- Toss the gnocchi with the brown butter, fried sage and shaved Parmesan.
- Serve immediately.
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat and add the butter.
- Immediately begin whisking. Stir as it bubbles, and after 2 to 3 minutes or so you should see brown bits appear on the bottom of the pan.
- Remove from heat immediately and add in the vanilla beans.
- Continue to whisk for another 30 seconds.
- For the fried sage
- Place the butter in a skillet over medium heat.
- Once melted and sizzling, add in the sage leaves and cook for 30 seconds on each side.
- Remove them and place on a paper towel to drain excess butter.
- Notes: This recipe was prepared by Jessica at How Sweet It Is for Rodelle.
For the Pumpkin Gnudi
- 8 ounces ricotta cheese
- 4 ounces pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- for serving: shaved parmesan cheese
For the Vanilla Brown Butter Sauce
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 Rodelle Vanilla Bean, seeds scraped
For the Fried Sage
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 handful fresh sage