Pumpkin flan is a delicious, unexpected twist on pumpkin pie and individual servings simplify serving.
- 90 mins
- 8 servings
- 1 15 ounce can pumpkin puree
- 2 teaspoons Rodelle Ground Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice (or: 1/8 teaspoon each of ground nutmeg, allspice, mace, and cloves and an additional 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon)
- 7 large egg yolks
- 3 large whole eggs
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Rodelle Vanilla Bean, split and scraped
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 cup water
Flavored whipped cream (optional)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Rodelle Gourmet Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 teaspoon Rodelle Ground Vanilla
For the pumpkin
- Combine all of the pumpkin ingredients in a mixing bowl and set aside.
- Whisk the egg yolks and whole eggs together until frothy, set aside.
- In a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat, combine the cream, milk, sugar, scraped vanilla seeds, vanilla pod, and salt. Bring to a boil.
- Temper the eggs by whisking a portion of the cream mixture into the beaten eggs.
- Add the combined cream/egg mixture back into the boiled cream and whisk thoroughly.
- Add the pumpkin mixture and whisk to combine.
- Prepare an ice bath by filling a bowl halfway with ice and water.
- Strain the pumpkin-flan base mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl.
- Rest the bowl in the ice bath.
- Combine the sugar, lemon juice and 1 cup of water in a medium sauce pan over medium heat.
- Cook the caramel until it achieves an amber color.
- Remove from heat immediately.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Bring a medium pot of water to boil.
- Pour the caramel into 1 cup ramekins and immediately pour the caramel out so that the cups are lined with caramel.
- Let the caramel harden in the ramekins, then fill each one with 3/4 cups flan.
- Place the ramekins into a glass baking dish (try not to use a metal baking dish as the flan will take much longer to set).
- Carefully, add enough of the boiling water to the baking dish to cover the ramekins up to 2/3 height.
- Cover the baking dish with foil and bake until the flan sets, so it doesn't jiggle, about 45 minutes.
- Remove the ramekins from the baking dish and let cool for at least 15 minutes.
- You can then turn over onto a dessert plate, or serve in the ramekin.
- Optional: top with flavored whipped cream, garnish with a dust of cinnamon, cinnamon sugar or a sprinkle of pepitas.
Flavored whipped cream
- Combine ingredients in the bowl of a stand mixer or a bowl that will accommodate a hand mixer.
- Whip until stiff peaks appear.