With a smooth vanilla custard filling and rich cocoa frosting, layered with flavorful graham crackers, this enticing dessert is sure to become a family favorite.
- 280 mins
- 6 servings
- 4 sleeves graham crackers (1 box has 3 sleeves)
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 large eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 cups half & half
- 2 teaspoons Rodelle Gourmet Vanilla Extract
- ¼ cup unsalted butter
- ¼ cup Rodelle Baking Cocoa
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon Rodelle Gourmet Vanilla Extract
- Line the bottom of a 9 x 13 – inch baking dish with graham crackers, using about a quarter of them and breaking some in half if necessary.
- Place the cornstarch in a small bowl.
- In a second small bowl, whisk together the eggs and egg yolks. Set both aside.
- In a deep, heavy saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat and stir in the sugar. Add the salt and half & half and stir. Warm over medium heat until bubbles form around the edges of the liquid. Do not let it boil.
- When the half & half mixture is hot, turn off the heat.
- Pour a ladleful of the hot mixture into the small bowl holding the cornstarch. Whisk vigorously to combine. The mixture should come together smoothly, with no lumps; if there are any lumps, add a little more liquid and whisk them out. Pour this cornstarch mixture into the beaten eggs. Whisk vigorously to combine.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pot, and turn the heat to medium. Whisk continuously and vigorously, working all the angles of the pot and scraping the bottom. Continue whisking for about 5 minutes, or until the custard becomes very thick and starts to boil, with large bubbles that slowly rise to the surface. Turn off the heat and stir-in the Rodelle Gourmet Vanilla Extract.
- Spread one-third of the pudding evenly over the graham crackers. Top with a layer of graham crackers, and spread half of the remaining pudding over that layer. Add a third layer of graham crackers and top with the remaining pudding. Cover the top of the pudding with a final layer of graham crackers. Set aside.
- Melt the butter with the Rodelle Baking Cocoa in a small saucepan.
- Bring to a light simmer over medium-low heat and let it bubble for 1 minute. Whisk in the milk and cook for 3 more minutes, letting the mixture bubble-up around the edges.
- Remove from the heat and beat in the confectioners’ sugar with a whisk or hand beater. When the mixture is smooth, beat in the vanilla.
- While the frosting is still quite hot and liquid, pour it over the top layer of the graham crackers and smooth with a hot knife or spatula dipped in hot water.
- Cover the dessert with a lid or aluminum foil and refrigerate. Do not let the foil touch the top of the dessert. Refrigerate for a minimum of 4 hours and up to 2 days before serving.
- Serve chilled.