Neapolitan brownie ice cream cake is the perfect make-ahead summer treat! Baked with Rodelle Gourmet Baking Cocoa for the richest chocolate flavor, this ice cream cake is a must for your summer celebration!
- 60 mins
- 12 servings
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 1/2 cups Rodelle Gourmet Baking Cocoa
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp Rodelle Pure Vanilla Extract
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 7 cups vanilla ice cream, slightly softened
- 7 cups strawberry ice cream, slightly softened
- 1/4 cup strawberry preserves
- 4 oz semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup cold heavy cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp Rodelle Pure Vanilla Extract
- fresh strawberries
- Preheat oven to 325°F and spray two 8-inch round cake pans with nonstick spray. Line the pans with rounds of parchment paper, and spray parchment lightly with nonstick spray.
- For the brownie cake, place melted butter, sugar, cocoa powder, and salt in a large bowl and stir the mixture until combined – the texture will appear granular at this point. Stir in vanilla; add eggs one at a time, stirring well after each one. When the batter is thick and shiny, add the flour and stir until completely incorporated, then beat briskly for 40 more strokes.
- Divide batter evenly between cake pans and smooth with an offset spatula; tap pans sharply to remove air bubbles.
- Bake for 26 to 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs attached. Remove from oven and let cool completely on a wire rack. Once the brownie layers are completely cool, turn out of pans and remove parchment.
- Freeze flat on a baking sheet until ready to assemble.
- For the ice cream layers, line two 8-inch round cake pans with plastic wrap. Add softened ice cream to each pan and press into an even layer. Cover and let ice cream layers freeze for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, spoon strawberry preserves over the strawberry ice cream. Spread evenly with an offset spatula, then freeze for 30 minutes to set.
- To assemble the cake, place 2 pieces of plastic wrap on the counter. Place one frozen brownie layer on top of the plastic wrap, then top with the vanilla ice cream layer.
- Repeat with second brownie layer and strawberry ice cream layer (place jam side down). Wrap up cake with plastic wrap and freeze overnight.
- For the ganache, place chopped chocolate in a medium bowl. Pour heavy cream into a small saucepan and bring just to a boil over medium-high heat. Pour warm heavy cream over chocolate and let stand for 2 minutes before stirring until smooth.
- Let ganache cool for 5 minutes, then pour over the top of the ice cream cake in a single motion. Working quickly, spread ganache evenly with an offset spatula, letting the excess drip down the sides of the cake. Return cake to freezer for 30 minutes to set.
- For the vanilla whipped cream, pour heavy cream into a chilled mixer bowl fitted with wire whip attachment. Beat cream on medium-high speed until cream begins to thicken; gradually add powdered sugar. Add vanilla and beat until stiff peaks form.
Transfer vanilla whipped cream to a piping bag fitted with a large star tip and pipe decoratively over ganache. Return to freezer for 20 minutes to set.
- Dip a sharp knife in hot water and wipe dry before slicing cake. Serve with fresh strawberries.
Make ahead: Ice cream cake can be made in advance – after the ganache is set, wrap the cake and freeze for up to 3 days. Add the vanilla whipped cream and strawberries when you’re ready to serve.