This recipe draws on the chew power of both molasses and muscovado sugar and combines a festive spice mix of cinnamon, ginger and cardamom. We top it with a luscious cardamom chocolate buttercream and use Rodelle’s gourmet vanilla extract to round out the spices and amplify the chocolate flavor!
- 40 mins
- 18 servings
- ¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Rodelle Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup dark muscovado sugar
- ⅛ cup molasses
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- Granulated sugar, for rolling
- Flakey sea salt, optional topping
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon Rodelle Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 ½ cups organic powdered sugar
- ⅓ cup Rodelle Dutch Process Cocoa
- Preheat oven to 350 and line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- In the bowl of a stand-mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter, sugar, salt, molasses and vanilla until very light and fluffy, 5-7 minutes.
- Add the yolks and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, spices and baking soda.
- Mix dry ingredients into wet until dough comes together.
- Portion dough into balls of 1-1.5 tablespoons and dip the tops in granulated sugar.
- Place dough on cookie sheet, leaving about 2 inches between, room for them to spread.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
- To make buttercream: beat butter with salt and vanilla until very light and fluffy.
- Sift in powdered sugar and cocoa, add cardamom. Beat until combined.
- Once cookies are cool, spread a teaspoon of buttercream onto cookies and top with flaky sea salt, if desired.
Note: this recipe was prepared by @buttermilkbysam for Rodelle.