Elegant and flavorful confection that pairs perfectly with an Easter lunch, baby shower, wedding shower, and other special occasions. A very unique and stunning dessert.
- | Easy
- | 90 mins
- | 8 servings
DirectionsFor the Lemon Curd Filling
- Crack whole egg and yolks into a medium-small size mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, flour, cornstarch, and salt. Add water, lemon extract, and lemon zest. Mix.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils.
- Beat 1/2 cup of the mixture into the bowl with the whole egg and yolks; return to saucepan.
- Simmer 3 minutes, then stir in butter until melted.
- Pour or spoon into tart let shells; cool one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Add scraped Rodelle Vanilla Bean seeds into the sugar.
- Whip egg whites to soft peaks, then add sugar a little at a time, until stiff peaks form (takes 15 or more minutes to develop really stiff peaks).
- Fold in corn starch and vinegar until well blended. Whip for 5 more minutes.
- Use a cake pan to trace an 8” circle on parchment paper. Fill the circle with meringue.
- After meringue is placed on paper, you will form a well in the middle, while building up the sides to create a bowl-like shape out of the meringue. The well is created to hold the filling.
- Reduce heat to 220°F.
- Put parchment paper with “meringue bowl” onto a cookie sheet. Bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Turn off oven, and let meringue cool inside.
- Combine halved strawberries in a small bowl with lemon, sugar and water – stir and let rest while making the rest of the dessert.
- Place mixing bowl and wire whisk attachment in the freezer to chill for 30 minutes (this is KEY).
- Remove chilled bowl and whisk and set up mixer.
- Pour in heavy whipping cream, vanilla bean seeds, and powdered sugar.
- Whip on low for 1 minute, and then turn mixer speed up to high.
- Mix until whip cream is stiff about 2 minutes.
- Remove cooked pavlova to a serving plate.
- Scoop lemon curd filling into the pavlova bowl and top with whipped cream in a mound – retain any leftovers for another purpose.
- Strain strawberries of excess liquid.
- Arrange strawberry halves on the whipped cream and accent with the whole, fresh strawberries. Garnish with optional lemon zest.
For the Lemon Curd Filling
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Rodelle Lemon Extract
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 egg
- 4 egg yolks (reserve whites for the meringue)
- 3 tablespoons butter
For the Pavlova (meringue):
- 1 Rodelle Vanilla Bean, split and scraped
- 1 cup of cane sugar
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 tsp corn starch
- 1 tsp white vinegar
For the Strawberry topping:
- 2 cups strawberries – halved – leave some whole for the garnish
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp Rodelle Vanilla Extract
For the Vanilla Bean whipped cream
- 1-pint heavy whipping cream
- 6 tbsp Powdered Sugar
- 2 Rodelle Vanilla Beans, split and scraped
- Optional: 1 teaspoon lemon zest