This pound cake is the perfect amount of citrus and sweet – with that traditional crumb and dense texture you love about pound cakes!
- | Easy
- | 90 mins
- | 8 servings
- Butter a 9x5" loaf pan and line the bottom with a rectangle of parchment paper.
- Flour the sides of the pan.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the butter, sugar and salt on high speed for about 8 minutes or until fluffy. Don't be tempted to shorten the mixing time or the cake will be heavy!
- Scrape the sides of the bole with a rubber spatula every minute or so.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, vanilla and lemon extract.
- With the mixer on medium-speed, add in the egg milk mixture to the butter mixture, one third at a time, waiting to add until each addition is thoroughly incorporated before adding more.
- The mixture should have the consistency of sour cream or small curd cream cheese, depending on temperature.
- Add the lemon zest and mix for 30 seconds more.
- Turn off the mixer and add the flour all at once.
- Beat on low speed for about 5 seconds, or just long enough to mix the flour with no leftover lumps.
- Scrape the sides of the bowl and mix for 5 minutes more.
- Scoop the batter into the loaf pan, but do not smooth the top surface of the cake batter as that will cause the cake to lose some of its airyness.
- Bake for about 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until a toothpick or knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool for 15 minutes before turning out of the pan.
- Glaze the top of the loaf, individual slices or serve with powdered sugar for garnish!
- Combine the sugar and lemon extract in a small bowl and whisk until smooth.
- Whisk in the cream, one tablespoon at a time, until the glaze is smooth and falls in a thin stream when you lift the whisk.
- Drizzle the glaze over the room temperature loaf placed on a cooling rack or sheet pan.
- Let the icing drip down the sides for a rustic, homespun effect.
For the Pound Cake
- Butter and flour to prepare your loaf pan
- 1 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons butter, sliced, at cool room temperature
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 eggs
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 Rodelle Vanilla Bean, split and scraped
- 1 teaspoon Rodelle Lemon Extract
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
For the Lemon Glaze
- 1 1/3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoons Rodelle Lemon Extract
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/4 + teaspoon lemon zest