The filling is a classic lemon curd made with Rodelle Lemon Extract, and the meringue is dressed up with a dash of lime juice and zest. These little tarts are the perfect lemon-lime flavor!
- | Easy
- | 45 mins
- | 6 servings
DirectionsFor the Crust
- Heat oven to 375°F
- Line tin with baking cups (jumbo or cupcake sized muffin tin, or in 4-inch tart pans)
- Place the graham crackers in a plastic zip-lock bag. Seal the bag and crush the crackers.
- Pour into a bowl. Add the brown sugar, butter and vanilla paste and mix well.
- Press even amounts into the bottom of the baking cups.
- Using a flat bottom cup or glass a little smaller the the bottom of the cups, press firmly and even-out the lip that forms. You will have a crust with a dip in the center for the filling and sides that form the lip.
- Bake for 5 - 6 minutes, until the crust sets. Let cool completely.
- Carefully peel off baking cups from cooled tartlet shells. Set the crusts on a baking sheet.
- Crack whole egg and yolks into a medium-small size mixing bowl. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, combine sugar, flour, cornstarch, and salt. Add water, lemon extract, and lemon zest. Mix.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils.
- Beat 1/2 cup of the mixture into the bowl with the whole egg and yolks; return to saucepan.
- Simmer 3 minutes, then stir in butter until melted.
- Pour or spoon into tart let shells; cool one hour.
- Beat egg whites on medium-high speed in the bowl of your stand mixer with the whisk attachment until frothy, about 1 minute.
- With motor running, gradually add 1/2 cup sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form, 5-7 minutes. Mix in lime zest and lime juice.
- Top the tartlet's with the meringue. It's important that the meringue be sealed to the edges of the crust, otherwise the proteins in the egg whites will start to shrink in the oven's heat.
- Bake at 400°F for 6-8 minutes.
- Cool and top with lime zest.
For the Crust
- 9 sheets graham crackers
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon Rodelle All Natural Vanilla Paste
For the Filling
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Rodelle Lemon Extract
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 egg
- 4 egg yolks (reserve whites for the meringue)
- 3 tablespoons butter
For the Meringue
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest (plus more for garnish)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice