This elegant recipe is borrowed from Saveur magazine. We’ve added our vanilla extract and vanilla beans. The extra vanilla brings a warm and sensual aroma and flavor to this extravagant dessert.
- | Advanced
- | 110 mins
- | 10 servings
- Heat oven to 350° F. Butter and flour three 9 inch round cake pans; set aside.
- Heat butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat; cook until it browns. Chill until solid.
- In a bowl, whisk together both flours, baking powder and soda, cinnamon, ginger, salt, and allspice. Finely grind coconut and almonds in a food processor. Combine nut mixture, carrots, and flour mixture; mix everything together.
- In a bowl, beat together the browned butter and brown sugar until fluffy, 1-2 minutes; beat in yolks one at a time. Add yogurt, juice, zest, and vanilla; beat. Add flour mixture; beat. Wisk egg whites to stiff peaks; fold into batter.
- Divide batter between pans; smooth tops with a spatula.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- In a 4 quart sauce pan, combine 4 tablespoons butter, sugar, buttermilk, syrup, scraped vanilla bean pod, and baking soda; boil. Cook until dark (about 3-4 minutes). Remove from heat; remove the vanilla bean pod. Add ½ teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Spread glaze over each warm cake. Remove cakes from pans; transfer, glazed side up, to racks. Let cool.
- In a bowl, beat remaining butter, mascarpone, vanilla seeds, and cream cheese with mixer until smooth. Add remaining vanilla extract, rum, zest, and sugar; beat. Chill.
- Spread 1 ¼ cups icing evenly over 2 cake layers; stack, top with remaining layer.
- Frost top and sides; press the chopped walnuts onto the sides. Chill before serving.
- 1 cup unsalted butter; plus more to coat the pans
- 1¼ cups flour; plus more to coat the pans
- 1¼ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp ground allspice
- 1 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- ½ cup finely ground almonds
- 3 cups finely grated carrots
- 1 ½ cups packed dark brown sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- ½ cup plain yogurt
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 2 tbsp Rodelle Gourmet Vanilla Extract
Glaze and Icing
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup sugar
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 1 tbsp light corn syrup
- 1 Rodelle Gourmet Vanilla Bean; split, reserve the bean pod
- ¾ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup mascarpone cheese
- 3 (8 oz.) packages cream cheese
- 2 tbsp dark or spiced rum
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- 1 pound confectioner’s sugar
- 2 cups finely chopped walnuts