This is the perfect way to eat vanilla bean ice cream- between two homemade chocolatey cookies! Our Vanilla bean ice cream sandwich is the something the whole family will love.
- 150 mins
- 24 servings
- 2¾ cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- ½ cup Rodelle Gourmet Baking Cocoa
- 2½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp Himalayan Crystal salt (or sea salt)
- 12 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1½ teaspoons Rodelle Gourmet Vanilla Extract
- 1½ cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp whole milk
- 2 pints ice cream softened (Mix in Rodelle Vanilla Beans to the ice cream for added flavor).
Optional: Make your own Rodelle Vanilla Bean Ice Cream. We used frozen bowl type ice cream makers. Both the electric and hand crank took approx. 20 minutes to achieve desired results.
- 3 egg yolks (reserve the whites for the cookie cones)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp Rodelle Vanilla Extract
- 1 whole Rodelle Vanilla Bean, split and scraped
How to Cook Cookies
- In a medium bowl, sift together flour, Rodelle Gourmet Baking Cocoa, baking powder, and salt. Set aside
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter, Rodelle Gourmet Vanilla Extract, and sugar.
- Add eggs and milk, and mix until combined Add reserved flour mixture, and mix on low speed until incorporated, scraping the sides of the bowl at least once.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Roll dough out on a floured surface, sliding a spatula under the dough to release it every few turns of the rolling pin. Roll dough to ¼ or 1/8 inch thick.
- Cut the dough using a variety of circular shape cookie cutters (2 ½– 3 inches in diameter). Make sure each cookie has a matching top and bottom.
- Place the cookies on a parchment-lined baking sheet; chill until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from refrigerator and using a fork, prick the cookies all over with holes.
- Bake until just firm, 12 to 15 minutes. Let cool on the baking sheet then transfer to wire rack.
- With the underside of half the cookies face up, spoon softened ice cream about ½ inch thick to cover one side. Place matching cookie on top of the ice cream, top side facing out.
- Transfer immediately to freezer to harden, repeat with remaining cookies and ice cream.
- Serve directly from the freezer.
- Sandwiches can be kept stored in an airtight container in the freezer for 3 to 4 days.
How to Make Rodelle Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- Beat eggs and milk together in a large saucepan.
- Add the sugar. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until thickened (approx. 10 minutes).
- Mixture should smoothly coat the spoon. Cool in an ice bath for 15 minutes.
- Add the cream and vanilla and return to the ice bath for an additional hour (or refrigerate overnight and make the ice cream the following day, preferred method).
- Add the mixture to the bowl of the ice cream maker and mix until thick and creamy.
- Transfer to an airtight container and freeze for about 2 hours.
- Remove from freezer about 15 minutes prior to serving.