Triple the chocolate with: homemade chocolate Graham crackers, chocolate marshmallows, and chocolate bar squares – these treats elevate any bonfire!
- | Easy
- | 90 mins
- | 18 servings
DirectionsFor the Marshmallows
- Sift together the powdered sugar with 2 teaspoons cocoa powder.
- Line a lightly-oiled 9x13 baking pan with parchment or wax paper. Lightly spray the paper with oil and gently dust it with a bit of the cocoa powdered sugar.
- Set the cocoa powdered sugar aside for later.
- In the bowl of the KitchenAid Stand Mixer ﬁtted with the whisk attachment, whisk together the powdered gelatin and ½ cup of the water.
- Let sit while you work through the next steps.
- In a 3.0-quart saucepan, combine the sugar, brown rice syrup, and remaining ½ cup of water, and cook over medium heat, stirring, until the sugar dissolves, about 3-5 minutes.
- Insert a candy thermometer and increase the heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the syrup reaches 240°.
- Turn the stand mixer to low and gently pour the syrup into the gelatin mixture along the side of the bowl (to avoid splatters).
- Increase the speed to high and whip for about 15 minutes, until the mixture nearly triples in size and becomes white and fluffy.
- With the mixer on low, slowly add the remaining ¼ cup of cocoa powder, Rodelle vanilla extract, and salt, and mix until completely combined.
- Pour the marshmallow cream into the prepared baking sheet and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Leave the pan to dry out, uncovered, overnight.
- The next day, dust the top of the marshmallows and a cutting board with the remaining cocoa powdered sugar.
- Use the parchment paper to help you turn the marshmallows out onto the dusted cutting board. Use a slightly warmed knife to cut the marshmallows into squares.
- Toss each marshmallow in the cocoa powdered sugar until it's no longer sticky on any side.
- Combine the flours, sugar, salt, sifted cocoa, and baking powder in a medium-sized bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg with the oil, honey and milk. Stir the egg mixture into the dry ingredients until you have a fairly stiff dough, adding an additional tablespoon of milk if necessary.
- Wrap the dough an chill for an hour.
- -Turn the dough onto a floured surface and kneed gently until it holds together. Roll dough to about 1/16" thick, making sure the surface is well floured.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment, or lightly grease them.
- Using a pizza roller, cut the dough into 3" squares. Prick each square several times with a fork and place them on the prepared baking sheets. Brush the tops with milk, and sprinkle with a light dusting granulated sugar.
- Bake crackers for 10 - 20 minutes. Keep a close eye on the crackers as they bake as oven temperatures can vary. Check them early and often.
- Remove the crackers from the oven and transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- Wrap and store at room temperature or freeze for longer storage.
For the Marshmallows
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar for dusting
- 1/4 cup + 2 teaspoons Rodelle Organic Dutch-Processed Baking Cocoa, divided 3, quarter-ounce packages unflavored powdered gelatin
- 1 cup cold water, divided
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 cup brown rice syrup
- 2 teaspoons Rodelle Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
For the Chocolate Graham Crackers
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup Rodelle Organic Dutch-Processed Baking Cocoa, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons milk, plus extra for glazing