Loaded chocolate and peppermint cups are perfect winter treats! They’re ready in a flash and a delicious way to end holiday meals!
- 60 mins
- 12 servings
For the Chocolate
- 2 ½ cups (15 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 2 tablespoons Rodelle Gourmet Baking Cocoa
- 1 teaspoon real vanilla extract
- 1/3 teaspoon sea salt
For the Peppermint Filling
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1/2 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3 tablespoons finely crushed peppermint candies, divided
- In a regular size muffin tin, place 12 fluted muffin liners.
In a medium, heat-safe bowl add the chocolate, shortening, cocoa powder, vanilla and sea salt and set over a medium saucepan of simmering water. Do not let the bowl touch the water or let the water come to a boil. Stir frequently until melted and smooth and then turn off the heat. Fill each muffin liner with 1 tablespoon of melted chocolate and place the muffin tin in the fridge for at least 20 minutes to set up.
- In a small bowl, thoroughly blend together the powdered sugar, butter, shortening, milk and peppermint until smooth. Stir in 2 tablespoons crushed peppermint candies until evenly distributed and set the bowl in the freezer to firm up the mixture.
- Once chilled through, roll 1 heaping teaspoon of the peppermint filling into a ball and press down to form a flat disc. Place one disc on top of the chocolate in the center of each muffin liner and then cover with an additional tablespoon of melted chocolate. Tap the muffin tin on the counter to smooth the chocolate over the top and sprinkle each cup with some crushed peppermint candy.
- Set in the fridge to firm up and set out for 5-10 minutes prior to serving.
You can use either semi-sweet or a darker, less sweet chocolate, depending on your taste. This recipe was prepared for Rodelle by Displaced Housewife. Check out Rebecca's site for more delicious recipe ideas!