This dessert recipe is one of a kind. It’s not just a normal baking recipe, but it’s one that can be baked over the grill! It’s fun, unique and delicious!
- 50 mins
- 8 servings
- 4-5 whole Granny Smith apples; peeled, cored, and cut into 6 equal pieces
- 1¾ stick unsalted
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1½ tsp Rodelle Gourmet Vanilla Extract
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup sour cream
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 whole small Granny Smith apple; peeled, cored, and finely chopped
- Preheat grill on high heat. If using a charcoal grill, get the coals hot and glowing. Cover to retain the heat.
- In a 9-10 inch iron skillet, melt 1¾ sticks butter over low heat.
- Add ¾ cup sugar to the pan and stir around.
- Place the apple slices, wedge side down, in the pan. Don’t pack them too tightly, but try not to leave overly large gaps. Allow this to cook over low to medium low heat on the stove top while you make the cake batter.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon in a small bowl, set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat 1 stick butter and 2/3 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in the vanilla and eggs.
- Add the sour cream and mix well.
- Gradually add the flour mixture until just combined.
- Gently stir in the chopped apple.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and spoon the batter over the top. Spread gently with an offset spatula (or rubber spatula) so the batter is evenly distributed.
- Turn off heat on one side of the grill and place the skillet on the unheated side.
- Cover the grill and cook the cake for 20 – 25 minutes, or until the cake is brown and bubbly. Check the cake and turn the skillet half way through cooking. Try not to lose too much of the built-up heat.
- If using a charcoal grill, scoot half the coals to one side of the grill and place the skillet on the half with no coals. Cover and cook, turning the skillet one time.
- Allow the cake to sit in the skillet for five minutes, then invert onto a serving plate, (you may need to loosen with a thin spatula). Don’t worry if some of the topping isn’t perfect – it will still taste divine!
- Serve Vanilla Apple Skillet Cake recipe warm with vanilla ice cream