This Gingerbread is a stunning dessert for the holidays or any occasion! Wine poached pears complement the rich flavors of a classic gingerbread.
- | Easy
- | 120 mins
- | 12 servings
- Heat the pears, white wine, sugar, water, and spices until boiling, then turn the heat down to simmer. Cook for 45 minutes, then remove with a slotted spoon to a shallow bowl or plate and allow to slightly cool.
- Preheat oven to 3500 F. Spray oil, sides and bottom, of a 4 ½ x 9-inch, or 4 x 8-inch loaf pan. Line the bottom with parchment paper cut to size, then re-spray and lightly dust with flour. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the sugar and butter until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. On medium speed, beat in the egg. Slowly mix In the molasses on low speed.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and salt. With mixer on low speed, blend the flour into the creamed mixture. Scrape sides and bottom of the bowl, then slowly incorporate the hot water. Once blended, pour into the loaf pan, then place the pears upright in pan, twisting just a little to make sure they are seated in the batter and almost enveloped. The stems should be sticking out of the top.
- Bake for 1 hour. Test doneness by carefully inserting a toothpick into the center, then edges of loaf. Try not to pierce the pears!
- Allow to sit for 20 minutes on cooling rack before removing from the pan.
- Serve with whipped cream. Hint: Add ¼ teaspoon of Rodelle Ground Cinnamon to the cream while whipping for a truly flavorful and gourmet touch.
Wine Poached Pears
- 3 firm, but ripe, bosc pears, pealed with stems left on
- 1 750ml bottle white wine
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 1 cup water
- 3 Rodelle Cinnamon Sticks
- 10 cardamom pods
- ½ cup cane sugar
- ½ cup butter, room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Rodelle Ground Cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon Rodelle Ground Ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup hot water