The perfectly spiced hot cocoa for winter! We love the little Gingerbread Marshmallow Men who dive into our Rodelle Cocoa!
- 60 mins
- 8 servings
Gingerbread Marshmallow Men
- ½ cup powdered sugar for dusting
- 3 quarter-ounce packages unflavored powdered gelatin
- 1 cup cold water, divided
- 1½ cups sugar
- ¾ cup brown rice syrup or light corn syrup
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon Rodelle vanilla paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
Gingerbread Hot Cocoa
- 6 cups whole milk
- 3 Rodelle cinnamon sticks, broken in half
- 2 Rodelle vanilla beans, split lengthwise and scraped
- ¾ cup Rodelle dutch-processed cocoa powder
- ¾ cup dark brown sugar, to taste
- 1 tablespoon Rodelle chocolate extract
- 2½ teaspoons ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
Make the Gingerbread Marshmallow Men
- Line a lightly-oiled 10x15 baking sheet with parchment or wax paper. Lightly spray the paper with oil and gently dust it with a bit of the powdered sugar. Set the powdered sugar aside for later.
- In the bowl of the KitchenAid® Stand Mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whisk together the powdered gelatin and ½ cup of the water. Let sit while you prepare the rest.
- In a 3.0-quart saucepan on your KitchenAid® Gas Convection Slide-In Range, combine the sugar, light corn syrup, molasses, and remaining ½ cup of water, and cook over medium heat, stirring, until the sugar dissolves, about 3-5 minutes.
- Insert a candy thermometer and increase the heat to medium-high. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the syrup reaches 240°F.
- Turn the stand mixer to low and gently pour the syrup into the gelatin mixture.
- Increase the speed to high and whip for about 15 minutes, until the mixture nearly triples in size and becomes white and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla paste, spices, and salt, and mix until completely combined.
- Pour the marshmallow cream into the prepared baking sheet and smooth the top with a spatula.
- Leave the pan to dry out, uncovered, overnight.
- The next day, dust the top of the marshmallows and a cutting board with powdered sugar.
- Use the parchment paper to help you turn the marshmallows out onto the dusted cutting board. Use a lightly oiled cookie cutter to cut the marshmallows into gingerbread men (reserve any excess trim for making rice krispie treats!)
- Toss each marshmallow in the powdered sugar until it's no longer sticky on any side.
Make the Gingerbread Hot Cocoa
- In a 3-quart saucepan set over medium heat, bring the milk to a simmer with cinnamon sticks and vanilla bean seeds and pods, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, cover, and let steep 10 minutes to infuse.
- Strain the milk into a large bowl, discarding the vanilla pod and cinnamon sticks.
- Sift in the cocoa powder, and add the brown sugar, chocolate extract, ginger, cloves, allspice, and salt.
- Blend with KitchenAid® Hand Blender with the frother attachment until smooth and frothy.
- Return to the pot to reheat if necessary.
- Serve topped with a gingerbread marshmallow man.
- Click here to watch our easy how-to video and all of the steps to make this delicious hot cocoa!
This recipe was created by Sarah of Snixy Kitchen and Alanna Taylor-Tobin of The Bojon Gourmet for Rodelle and KitchenAid.
Check out our how-to video!