These easy funfetti cupcakes are soft and fluffy, loaded with heaps of rainbow sprinkles and topped with a mile high swirl of vanilla buttercream. The perfect cupcakes for all occasions!
- 60 mins
- 12 servings
- 1 ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons (172 g) cake flour, scooped and leveled
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ cup (113 g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup (150 g) granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons Rodelle Gourmet Pure Vanilla Extract
- ⅔ cups buttermilk, room temperature
- 1/3 cup sprinkles
- ⅓ cup (42 g) all-purpose flour, scooped and leveled
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3 teaspoons Rodelle Gourmet Pure Vanilla Extract
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon (127 g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- Sprinkles to top
- Adjust the oven rack to the center of the oven and pre-heat oven to 350˚ F. Place 12 cupcake liners in a muffin tin pan.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl with a hand mixer. Beat on medium for about 5 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Add one egg at a time and mix until combined. Add vanilla.
- Alternate mixing in the dry ingredients in 3 portions and the buttermilk in two portions to the wet ingredients until everything is added. Mix until just combined.
- Mix in sprinkles with a few turns of a sturdy spoon.
- Fill each liner three-fourths full of batter.
- Place the pan in the oven for 20-22 minutes. Cupcakes are done when starting to color at the edges and a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing. Let cool completely before piping on frosting.
- Add flour and milk to a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk the mixture until it is like pudding in texture (2-3 minutes). Take it off heat and whisk in the vanilla and salt. Transfer it to a heat proof bowl and allow to cool to room temperature. Cover the surface with plastic wrap so a film does not form.
- Add the butter and sugar to the bowl of standing mixer with a paddle attachment. Mix on medium for 5-6 minutes until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides, when needed.
- Once the flour mixture is cooled, add it to the butter/sugar one scoop at a time while the mixer is on medium. Continue to mix until smooth.
- Remove bowl from mixer and transfer the frosting to a piping bag with a piping tip, like a 1M. Pipe the frosting in a swirl (about 2 inches high) on top of each cupcake. Top with sprinkles if desired.
Note: Cupcakes may be frozen before frosting. Store tightly wrapped for up to 3 months.
This recipe was created for Rodelle by Heather at Browned Butter Blondie. Click here for the original recipe!