Created by Kristin Hoffman, of Lawrence, KS. Our 2012 Great American Ice Cream Challenge 3rd place!
- 4 servings
- 2 cups cherries, pitted (if you don’t have a cherry pitter, hammer a clean nail into a piece of wood and push the cherry over the top of the nail pushing the pit out)
- spiced rum
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup almond milk (or other milk of choice, can also use more coconut milk)
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder (or cornstarch)
- 1/4 cup agave (or other sweetener or choice)
- 3.5 ounces of dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Place one cup of the cherries in a small bowl and pour in enough spiced rum to cover the cherries. Soak for at least 4 hours and up to overnight.
- Drain the cherries through a strainer. (I reserved the rum for a cherry infused cocktail!)
- Roughly chop the remaining 1 cup of cherries.
- Place the soaked cherries, coconut milk, almond milk, arrowroot, and agave in a blender and blend until combined.
- Mix in the chopped cherries, dark chocolate and pecans.
- Freeze in an ice cream maker according to manufactures instructions.
- If you do not have an ice cream maker, place in the freezer and stir vigorously about every hour for 6 hours.