Little bites of bliss to soothe an afternoon sweet tooth or gift to your mocha loving friend, Double Chocolate Chunk Mocha Cookies have a caffeine kick!
- | Easy
- | 40 mins
- | 30 servings
- Into a medium bowl, sift in the flour, cocoa powder, cornstarch, baking soda and salt. Whisk together. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add the butter, cane sugar and brown sugar. Mix on medium speed for about 4 minutes or until thoroughly mixed but not light and fluffy. Scrape down bowl.
- Add egg and egg yolk, coffee and vanilla. Mix on medium speed for about 20 seconds, or until the yolks are incorporated and ingredients are distributed. The mixture will look broken (don't worry). Scrape bowl down.
- To the bowl, add the dry ingredients, all at once. Pulse in until there are no dry ingredients visible (about 20 seconds). Scrape bowl down. Pulse in the chocolate chunks, about 10 seconds or until even distributed. The dough will be very sticky. Place bowl in refrigerator and refrigerate for at least one hour. This allows time for the flavors to meld and the dough to hydrate.
- Line sheet pan(s) with silpat or parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 350F (180C) and place oven baking rack in the center of the oven. In a small bowl, add enough cane sugar to fill the bottom to about 1" (2.5cm) - this will be used to roll individual cookie balls in.
- Use a #50 cookie scoop (or 1.25 Tbs ea) to scoop the cookies. Press the scoop hard against the bowl to pack in the dough. Drop the dough ball into the cane sugar, gently roll it around, to cover it completely in sugar, and place it on the prepared sheet pan spacing the cookies about 2" (5cm) apart. (If not using a cookie scoop, and because the dough is so sticky, scoop out about 1.25 Tbs in a rough ball. Toss it in the cane sugar and gently roll to round.)
- Bake for 9-10 minutes at 350F. They will be soft, but set and will look slightly underdone in the center when fully baked. Cool on the sheet pan for at least 5 minutes before carefully transferring the cookies to a cooling rack.
- Cool completely before storing in a lidded container at room temperature.
- Be sure the sheet pan is cool to the touch before adding a freshly scooped batch of cookies to bake.
- Repeat as needed to finish baking the cookies.
- 1 C (140g) All Purpose Flour
- 4 Tbs (25g) Rodelle Organic Unsweetened Baking Cocoa Powder Dutch Processed
- 1 1/2 tsp Cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Fine Sea Salt
- 8 Tbs (4oz / 113g) Unsalted Butter room temperature
- 1/4 C (55g) Cane Sugar + more for rolling the dough in
- 1/2 C (100g) Light Brown Sugar packed
- 3 Tbs Espresso or very strong brewed coffee, room temperature
- 1 tsp Rodelle Vanilla Extract
- 1 Large Egg + 1 Large Egg Yolk* room temperature
- 3/4 C + 2 Tbs (140g) Bittersweet Chocolate, coarsely chopped into small chunks