These incredible holiday cookies have an inspired flavor of a gingersnap and they have a crispy crunch like one too! They are delicious plain, but also incredible with the cream filling!
- 30 mins
- 30 servings
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick), softened to room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup buttermilk powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 1/2 tsp ginger from the Rodelle Gourmet Baking Set
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp molasses
- 1/2 tsp Rodelle Vanilla Extract
- Colored sprinkled sugar for rolling, if desired
Cream Filling - makes enough for 6 sandwich cookies
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ginger from the Rodelle Gourmet Baking Set
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp boiling water
- In a large bowl, sift together flour, buttermilk powder, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, allspice, ginger, and nutmeg; set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars together until fluffy.
- Add egg and mix thoroughly.
- Add vanilla and molasses and mix till combined.
- Slowly add dry ingredients and mix until just combined, scraping down the sides with a rubber spatula.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill dough for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Using a teaspoonful of dough, shape into balls and place on cookie sheet.
- Gently flatten each ball with the palm of your hand.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until just barely golden.
- Allow to cool for 1 minute on cookie sheet before transferring to wire rack.
- Cream butter, sugar, salt, ginger, and cinnamon until light, then beat in boiling water.
- Spread one tbsp of filling on the bottom of one cookie, placing another one on top to make a sandwich.
- Roll cookies in sprinkled sugar if desired.