Coconut pairs with the subtle sweetness and flavor of Rodelle Vanilla in this tart. You’ll love the crunchy vanilla crumb crust, smooth and rich coconut custard and whipped vanilla bean cream!
- 35 mins
- 8 servings
- 3 cups vanilla wafers, crushed in food processor
- 1/3 cup ground almonds
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon Rodelle Gourmet Vanilla Extract
- 1 2/3 cups coconut milk
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup half & half
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup corn starch
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp Rodelle Gourmet Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/3 cups shredded, unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 Rodelle Vanilla Bean, split and scraped
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Place the cookie crumbs and ground almonds into a bowl and toss to mix.
- Add the Rodelle Gourmet Vanilla Extract to the melted butter and drizzle over the combined crumb mixture.
- Stir to coat.
- Press into the bottom and sides of a 9 inch tart pan.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until set.
- Cool completely.
- In a large saucepan, combine the coconut milk, heavy cream and half & half.
- With a wire whisk, beat in the eggs, egg yolk, sugar, flour, corn starch, and salt.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture comes to a boil and thickens.
- Watch the mixture carefully, if you don't stir consistently, it could burn or get lumpy.
- The mixture is done when it thickens and coats a spoon evenly in a thick layer.
- Stir in the Rodelle Gourmet Vanilla extract and shredded coconut.
- Pour into the cooled tart crust and chill in the refrigerator for 4 hours.
- Fan the flaked coconut so the flakes are not overlapping on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 5 minutes, toss to turn and bake until toasted to a light-medium brown, about 5 more minutes. Watch closely so they don't burn!
- Beat the heavy cream, powdered sugar and Rodelle Vanilla Bean seeds in a bowl until fluffy.
- Spoon on the top of the chilled tart and sprinkle with the toasted coconut flakes.