A satisfying fig jam with hints of cocoa and vanilla compliments sweet chocolate cookies – try the jam on your next cheese plate too!
- | Easy
- | 60 mins
- | 48 servings
DirectionsFor the jam:
- Stir cocoa with whisk into sugar before adding water and lemon.
- Combine figs, sugar cocoa mixture, water, and lemon juice in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer until the liquid has thickened slightly and has turned a rosy, golden shade, about 6-8 minutes.
- Turn off the heat. Stir in vanilla bean paste and cool the mixture for 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a food processor and puree until smooth.
- Store in an airtight container (like a mason jar) in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Sift flour, cocoa, and salt into a small bowl.
- Cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until fluffy.
- Reduce speed to medium and add the egg yolks, cream, and vanilla extract. Scrape the sides of the bowl. Add the flour mixture and beat until just combined.
- Roll ball using 2 tsp dough for each. Roll the balls into the sugar in the bowl.
- Place 1 inch apart. With a wine bottle cork (or the handle of a wooden spoon), press gently in the center of each ball to create an indentation.
- Bake, rotating sheets half way through, until cookies are set, about 10 minutes.
- Let cool slightly on baking sheets, then transfer to wire rack to cool.
- Using a spoon, or pastry bag, place a dollop of the Cocoa Fig Jam into the indent of the cookies.
Quick Mission Fig Cocoa Jam
Makes 1 1/2 cups
- 6 ounces (about 22 whole) dried Mission figs, stems removed (we used Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice Mission Figlets)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp Rodelle Gourmet Baking Cocoa
- 1 ¼ cup water
- Juice from one lemon (about 3 tablespoons)
- 1/2 teaspoon Rodelle Vanilla Bean Paste
We used our favorite Chocolate Thumbprint Cookie Dough for this recipe - the perfect compliment to the Cocoa Fig Jam!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup plus 1 tbsp Rodelle Gourmet Baking Cocoa
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tbsp heavy cream
- 2 tsp Rodelle Gourmet Vanilla Extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar, set aside in a small bowl