To make a truly exceptional applesauce, use exceptional ingredients, like our ground Organic Ceylon Cinnamon, Cinnamon Sticks, and Vanilla Beans. The slow-cooker makes this recipe a breeze!
- 15 mins
- 8 servings
- 3 each, Honeycrisp, Granny Smith, and Golden Delicious apples (McIntosh can be substituted for any of the others), peeled*, quartered, and cored
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Rodelle Organic Ground Ceylon Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 Rodelle Cinnamon Stick
- 1 Rodelle Vanilla Bean, split (not scraped)
- Water (up to a cup) only if needed to smooth out the sauce if it's too thick
- Preheat* 5-6-quart slowcooker.
- In the crock of your slow cooker, combine the apples, sugar, cinnamon, and lemon juice.
- Top the mixture with the cinnamon stick and vanilla bean.
- Cover and cook until apples are very soft and mushy, on low for 4 hours, or on high for 2 hours. Stir occasionally. If the sauce seems too thick add a little water each time you stir.
- Remove the cinnamon stick and vanilla bean and using either an immersion blender (be careful, sauce is hot!), a potato masher, or for very smooth sauce, a food mill, smash or blend to desired consistency.
- At this point if you need to add more water or sugar (if you want a sweeter sauce), do so, cook for another 5 or so minutes.
- Refrigerate in airtight containers for up to one week, or freeze for up to 3 months.