Make your ordinary pot pie extraordinary with the addition of Rodelle’s elegant Herbes de Provence herb blend. This crust can be used for beef pot pies, quiches, or any other savory pie or tart.
- | Easy
- | 120 mins
- | 4 servings
DirectionsFor the filling:
- Steam chopped vegetables and diced potatoes to just al dente.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil and saute the shallots and mushrooms until fragrant. Add the cubed chicken and cook until done, but still tender. If needed, spoon out any excess grease.
- Add the steamed vegetables, salt and pepper. Stir to combine. Turn down the heat and add the chicken broth.
- Simmer filling for 5 minutes.
- Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Cut in the chilled shortening until a pea-like consistency.
- Mix in the chilled water until a ball-shape develops - adding more or less water as needed. Be sure to not over mix the dough!
- Divide into four balls, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.
- Roll out each dough ball on floured counter to make enough for a top and bottom crust.
- Measure using your heat-proof dish/container, making the bottom round about one-inch larger than the top.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place the bottom half of the rolled dough in your dish/container and fill with 1/4 of the chicken mixture, about 1 - 1 1/2 spoon ladles full.
- Cover with top crust. Finish off edges and crimp together.
- Cut 2 slits on top of the crust.
- Bake on a baking sheet for 20 minutes. Check to make sure crust is nicely browned and internal temperature of the pies has reached 140 degrees.
- Remove and serve. Container and filling will likely be very hot, so be cautious.
- 6 cups chopped vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, green beans, etc)
- 2 medium red potatoes, 1/4-inch cubed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1 cup shitake mushrooms, chopped
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken, 1/2-inch cubed
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 8 ounces chicken broth
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 3-4 tbsp Rodelle Herbes de Provence Spice Blend (adjust amount to suit your tastes.)
- 2 cups shortening, chilled
- 1 cup water, chilled